Picture of Winewall, looking down Winewall Lane from Hill Top.
Winewall is a steep climb off the road from Colne to Trawden brings you to the hamlet of Winewall. Great views over Pendle to Pendle Hill from here. Famous for its Inghamite Chapel started in 1752. An extensive graveyard still lies at the back of this chapel. Winewall's Inghamite Chapel was the second largest out of 16 chapels in 1814 - it had 41 members. Some of it's members were so fired up with enthusiasm that they emigrated to establish a branch, known as Farringdon Independent Church, at Brantford in Ontario, Canada (birthplace of the telephone and Wayne Gretzky). Sadly, in September 1998, the congregation had fallen to such a level that it was deemed necessary to close the chapel. Current plans, from local builder John Kay, are to convert the building into houses. There are now only two Inghamite chapels left in the world, one at Wheatley Lane and one at Salterforth.
Benjamin Ingham, a Yorkshire preacher in the mid 1700s, studied with Charles and John Wesley (who founded Methodism) and toured Yorkshire and Lancashire after being ordained in 1735. His followers established around 100 chapels at the height of his popularity, including ones in West Street and Cotton Tree (demolished in 1996 and replaced with houses). He often received a violent "welcome" as he preached. In Colne he was attacked by angry mobs on several occasions. Despite that the congregations grew and 700 people turned up at Winewall in 1755 to hear Mr. Ingham preach during a conference. He died in 1772.
Places of Interest